Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Thailand Part 1: The Sanctuary of Truth

           Upon reaching Laem Chabang Thailand, I contacted a friend that I knew that lives there namedVince. He use to be a physics teacher at my high school and he also played guitar so we use to go see jazz shows together and jam. We made some arrangements and early that morning he picked me up on his motorcycle. After some friendly words and a handshake we decided to hit the road. What I failed to mention to him was that I had never ridden on the back of a motorcycle before in my life… and frankly, it scared me shitless.
            I mean, what is suppose to be proper motorcycle passenger etiquette? Do you hold on to his hips
 while riding like an akward middle school prom date? That seems a little too intimate for guy on guy for 
me. Do you hold on to the sides of the seat? The metal handle in the back of the seat? It seems like it
 could be a fine line between appropriate and awkward. I thought the best way to start was with one 
hand on the back handle and the other on my leg that also rested on his side for balance.
            We gun it out of the cruise terminal and then I start to freak out. My heart gives flurries of 
convulses and fear starts to come over me. I feel at all times that I could suddenly lean the wrong way 
and knock us both over off the motorcycle. I close my eyes and bite my tongue, hoping that the pain will 
distract me from the fear of falling. I feel the wind slam against my face and blow my hair straight back. 
I’m still panicking. I try to focus on my breathing. Maybe if I just try to relax and slow my breathing down, 
I can get over it. I inhale air and exhale very slowly and try to control my heart rate. It’s no use. 
I’m still freaking out. Suddenly, as I was about to lose it and ask him to stop this crazy thing, Vince 
starts asking me some questions. Suddenly I’m distracted and am forgetting about falling. We start 
talking and finally the abrasive wave of panic washes away and I return to being able to relax.
            We discuss what I’ve been up to and how the cruise ship life is. He talks about how he moved 
to Thailand and what he has been doing here. He explains that he does yard work and goes to the local 
bars and plays pool with the locals. He seems to be enjoying his retirement and seems happy. The 
constant flow of the conversation keeps my mind at ease.
            After some detours (and a few wrong turns), we reach the Sanctuary of Truth. The Sanctuary of 
Truth is a temple that started construction in 1981 and is still currently under construction. It uses both 
Hindu and Buddhist themes through out the architecture and sculptures but does not subscribe its self 
solely as either one religion. We walked down these old wooden stairs on the side of a hill covered in 
trees and bush; and when we reached the bottom, it dropped us off in front of the massive building.


            The temple was incredible. It stands at a massive 350ft and the detail involved with his 
construction was mind blowing. Every inch of every corner of the building consisted of some kind of 
collage of sculptures of Hindu and Buddhist religious carictures. It was so condensed with these works, 
that it takes a few minutes to just have your eyes focus in and take in all of its dense artwork. The entire 
building is made from wood, which includes all the sculptures, and other art works. We started to walk 
around the massive building and stopping every 30 feet just to look and every angle of the building 
that offered its own unique design and collections of sculptures that were located on the roof, ceiling, 
walls, doorways and eves. 



          After making our way inside, we found that it was even more detailed than the outside. The walls 
had small, dense collages of carvings which was like looking at a Thai version of a ‘Where’s Waldo?’ 
page. It took several minutes to be able to look at every wall and see all the work that was done. In the 
middle it had a shrine where some people were on their hands and knees praying. We quietly walked by 
them as we looked around. The ceiling was also carved elaborately. Some larger sculptures of elephants 
and cobras and woman were in the high corners of the ceiling along side the smaller ones. Vince knew a 
little bit about both religions so he started to explain the significance of the different animals and symbols 
and how they were apart of the religions.




            Surrounding the building were some elephant rides that you could pay 450 Baht ($15) and 
ride around the site. There was also a few restaurants and other vendors where you could buy things 
such as memorabilia. None of those things really interested us but it was still cool to see some elephants 
up close.
            After stealing some last minute photos, we decided to go. The temple was along side the beach so 
as I looked back at it on my way out at the top of the stairs, I could see the ocean and the rest of the body 
of Thailand in the distance. What a place to worship I thought as I left. The temple is supposed to be 
completed in the year 2025. After it gets completed, I would love to come back and see what more they 
have added.         -DB      
            
                        





No comments:

Post a Comment