Friday, May 10, 2013

Dubai, UAE



             Driving into Dubai makes you feel like you are driving into a oasis surrounded by miles and miles of dry desert. Once in the city, you are reminded of a cross between New York City and Las Vegas. There are several tall skyscrapers protruding from the downtown area, which includes the world’s tallest building the Burj Khalifa. The abundance of brightly lit, and overly elaborate hotels and resorts resemble the ones in Vegas but with a much bigger budget. You can’t help but notice the effort put into the city, trying to make it one of the most modern and great cities of the world.
            The first stop of the day was going to be at the Dubai museum. The museum was created to display the history of the city and also its evolution from a small pearling village, into a major metropolis. Walking towards the museum, you pass a large wooden ship that had been preserved. You walk into the front door and into the al-Fahidi Fort. The fort was really not all that interesting. Some old towers and a few canons and that was really it. Once you walk past the fort, and the old Dubai wall (there was only about 50 feet of it left), you go down a staircase and go underground into the actual museum itself. The Museum was very dark with very little lighting.
            The museum had mostly reconstructed scenes of history and everyday life scenes using manikins. The manikins were a bit odd. They were lit with multicolored lights and to be quite honest, kind of creepy. Walking through the museum, you would be in different rooms that dealt with various topics such as, war, archeology, nature and wildlife and of course history. Making my way through, a few things were interesting such as the exhibit on building wooden ships and pottery as well as the exhibit on archeology; but even still the manikins were kind of creepy. I felt like at any moment, one could come to life and grab me by my shoulders and pull me into the scene.
            Getting through the whole museum took me about 20 minutes where you finally exit through the gift shop. I took the staircase up and finally onto the streets. The museum, even though was educational, I thought was a waste of time. If you are interested in the social history of Dubai and are exhilarated by manikins, it might be the place for you.








            I walked down the street a few blocks where I came to the Dubai creek. The creek houses several boats and ferries so I decided to get on one to cross it. The small wooden boats called abras, were driven by a single guy, usually with a cigarette half finished hanging from his mouth, who takes people across all day. I loaded into the small abra and left the dock. I could see down the creek at all the large buildings that overlooked its shores. The collection of boats docked and sailing nearby gave you a lot to look at. Some were more brightly decorated than others.





            Making it to the other side, we were dropped off next to the Spice Souk (Souks are market places). Walking down into the souk, you have lots of booths with their best spices and product out for display. Some of the spices were in large sacks and were filled to the brim with very colorful array of dried flowers, cinnamon, and other foreign and exotic spices. Some of the vendors sold things other than spices such as t-shirts, hookahs, watches and Dubai souvenirs. Also in front of the shops were their owners trying desperately to get your attention and pull you into their shop to show you their finest spices.


            After you walk through the Spice Souk, you enter the Gold Souk. The Gold Souk was an outdoor mall area and all the shops were selling gold and gold products. The gold here was suppose to be very cheap, but I was only determined to window shop. Going by every store window, you would see their most elaborate gold necklaces and bracelets. The gold shimmered and glowed as the brightness of its yellow pulled your eyes towards it. It was very impressive to see so much gold in one place and the quality of workmanship was immaculate; but I dared not to look at the price tags.


            After spending some time moving from window to window, I decided to take a bus through the city where I finally made my way to the Jumeirah Grand Mosque. This Islamic Mosque is the largest in the city and is the only mosque to allow non-Muslims to enter and designated days and times. Unfortunately, it was not the day or time that we would be allowed to enter. The architecture was still something to appreciate from the outside. A large white bulb on the top, which was supported by beautiful arches and brick work. On the roof were loud speakers to give the announcements for prayer 5 times a day. Muslims were entering and exiting as I snaped photos. They would look at me and I would smile back but they did not return the gesture.




            Getting back on the bus, I took my last stop at a nearby beach, which was located next to the Burj al-Arab hotel, which boasts as a “7-star hotel”. The hotel looks like a giant sail and overlooks the ocean. Every room in the hotel is suppose to a suite and is considered the best hotel in the world. I would have gone in but you need a reservation to get in the front door.


            Dubai is an amazing city and I have dubbed it “Vegas on steroids”. I wish I had more time to explore the city but instead I got suckered into the not-so-impressive Dubai Museum. If I could come back again, I would have made better plans to see the city. I hope one day I get another chance!                                          -DB

















No comments:

Post a Comment